Anti-Social Social Media

Hello people of blog land I am back for round two. This week in class we had three wonderful guest speakers that came to teach my class. I thought it was very nice that two of them were immigrants like me. It was nice to know that the guest speaker and I had something in common. Maybe that is why I enjoyed their lectures more, who knows? To be fair, they were all amazing. But I think somethings stuck out to me more than others.
 
Dr. Arif spoke a bit about how we as writers should tailor our writing in order to effectively get our message across. He first showed us that one's eyes on a page go to the top left corner first. What this means is that companies put the most important information in the top left corner. He also described the reason why most articles have little paragraphs as opposed to big blocks of text. The answer, because people don't want to read.
 
Everything stated by Dr. Arif was great but, I think there is one thing in particular that stuck out to me the most. The third speaker, Dr. Yang told us the definition of a social network. The basic definition that was said was a website/app that allows a user to create a profile, share their content, and explore the content and profiles of other users. 
 
 
This interested me because it made me think of what social media actual is. Not just that but why we spend so much time on it. It made me question to myself, does social media really connect us with one another or are we connecting with technology. There have been so many times that I have hung out with my friends and it seemed like they were really hanging out with me because they one their phones. Its something that makes me tick for sure, because I don't get to see my friends all that often to when I hang out with them I prefer to actually enjoy their company. 
 
Food for Thought:
Is social media really that social? Is it making us social with technology and not each other? 
 
peace
 
-Alex
 

Comments

Popular Posts